Passersby probably thoughts I was a total KOOK!
I was sitting on the beach, alone, reading a book & bustin’ out a ridiculously wide smile while tears puddled up in my eyes.
And the kicker in all this is that I was reading a “Mom book.”
You see, twenty years ago this summer I waddled through the 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy. A few days ago my youngest child finished kindergarten. And we have three other children in between these two, ages 7, 11 and 16. And because of these precious people I call “mine,” I’ve read a lot of “Mom books.”
and… Mom manuals.
Mom handbooks & devotionals.
Lots of books in the past 20 years!
Quite honestly, in the last 10 years or so, most of them have bored me and I’ve never quite made it to the last chapter. And come on… when a young mom has a couple of kids that are still little she probably has a few bits of advice to share, but seriously… that Mom is still new herself! (Maybe I’ve just had a bad attitude, of course I can learn from anyone/anywhere, but most of what I’d read was old news…. until…..)
THIS BOOK! It’s different….
-The author, Jennifer Grant, is my age, has four children, and the oldest is a teenager.
– She talks like I think.
– She doesn’t pretend to have all the answers.
– The book is organized into fun, quick read chapters.
– Even if I was interrupted by my kids about 13 times while I was reading just one paragraph, I could easily keep going.
In one chapter, her tongue-in-cheek terms for “mom-types” cracked me up but certainly rang a bell:
Green Mama, Slacker Mom, Stage Mom, Helicopter Mom, etc..
There’s so many other things that I completely related to; and concepts I’d never thought of before; and new inspiration.
I’m so grateful that I read this book… and NOW… have the opportunity to give away a copy.. maybe to YOU!
I’m giving it away next Friday by random selection. Here’s all that you have to do:
– In the comments below,just tell me one Mothering subject you think people would/should enjoy discussing
– and be sure that you fill in all the info when leaving that comment… you know… so I can contact you if you’re the winner. 🙂
(This is so fun!)
You can find more giveaways at MomAdvice