The last three weeks were filled with 14 days of hard work, tears,
sadness and continually finding words to encourage my kids
and myself. Then, 7 of those days offered smiles, comfortable
routines and no more tears. And it is all because of schooling. Here’s the deal…
In 2004 we started homeschooling our children (because we’d just moved to
the heart of Detroit city). Then, last year we put our youngest 3 kids into
a university prep charter school near our house. And now… this fall we’ve
gone a completely different route. Our youngest three are doing online
Yes! Free online public school, Connections Academy. It’s taken many of
the things I love about homeschooling and the few things I liked about
traditional public school and mushed it into one! Here’s a bullet list
of how things have gone for us.
– Day ONE was insane! We had the computer that the school gave us
(Yes, they provide one per household) and my laptop. But after we
took the infamous “1st day of school” picture and sat down to begin
my very aged laptop went to computer heaven (or the opposite!!)
Now what? THREE kids sharing ONE computer for Online school?
Yeah… NO!!! Insanity. Tears.
– My kind and compassionate husband took pity on me and put out a
plea on Facebook for used computers. That very same evening our
precious friends from church were dropping off not one, but TWO
brand new laptops! Thanks to our friend’s work and an unexpected
money gift we’d been given the month earlier, we now have enough
computers for all three children! Praise Jesus!
– That thrill worn off quickly… All I’ve used for over 16 years is MAC
computers and now I had 3 PCs! Everything is the COMPLETE
opposite! HELP! More school, insanity and salty tears. But I knew
I’d get it eventually… plus my kids were teaching me how to use it.
– We were told that it would take a while to “get used to computer school”
Yes… no joke. The first two weeks it took between 9 and 11 HOURS each
DAY to complete the assigned work! WHAT?
– Of course there were tears! (Mostly MY tears, quietly shed in a private
corner during the day, and in my time with Jesus in the stillness of the
very early morning.)
– After a week of this I made several email and phone-call pleas to the
teachers. “HELP! What are we doing wrong?”
– The teachers were so, so kind and gave us every bit of encouragement
and ideas they could. But the daily hours continued to mount!
– We stuck to it, knowing that this WOULD be GREAT when it settled down.
– And then it happened…. We started getting the hang of it!
– The 3rd week has actually been fun! All the joys of having my kids home,
being involved in their learning, knowing what they’re studying and
connecting it to daily activities, news reports, outdoor exploration, etc
all clicked in… again… finally!
– I truly love having my kids at home, learning! We have a blast.
– Later on I’ll post more about a regular school day as an
“Online Schooling Family” and the field trip coming up soon.
GRATEFULNESS fills my heart. Of course more challenges hide around
the corners… that’s life… but we’ve walked through a rough beginning
and know that “we can do this!”
(NOTE: Comments are closed… I’m having some trouble with that. But
you are welcome to email me at email@example.com. I’d LOVE IT!)