Just cuz you’re busy doesn’t mean you’re important. Everyone is “busy!” It’s the way our society is wired. But certain people get it in their head that if they talk a lot about how jam-packed their schedules are then we’ll all recognize the intense value of all that they’re doing. (yeah, did you recognize the intense sarcasm in that sentence?)
Here’s a few of my observations & opinions about the people who say they’re “So Busy”
– They’re looking for validation cuz they’re not quite convinced of their own worth
– They’re bad stewards of their time and rush around, barely noticing the moment they’re in or the people around them
– People who talk to you like your life is easy & their’s is SO much more challenging are simply looking for attention and some kind of affirmation: “Wow, you’re just always going, going, going. Keep up the good work.”
– People who use the word “busy” seem to actually use it as an excuse to get out of things they don’t want to/or should do.
– “Incredibly busy” people may be running from the very things that they are called to do.
– Perhaps they’re busy because they’re afraid of the quiet, down times that may occur if they’re not over-committing
– People who call themselves “crazy busy” seem afraid to let anyone down… yet in the process they let many people down.
-“Busy” can be an excuse to do only the self-serving things that make a person feel “happy”
– People who are leaders/ministers and are just “overly stretched” are possibly too insecure/proud to delegate to those around them (yes, pride & insecurity are very much the same)
– People, especially leaders who have “too much on their plates right now” may have piled on more than God intends for them take do
Have you said the phrase, “We’re just so busy right now” lately? Why? Do you fit into any one of these categories? Seriously. If you’re feeling defense, read back over the list and ask Jesus to point out truth that may apply to you.
There’s other ways of expressing that your schedule is full besides using the dreaded “B” word. Maybe tomorrow I’ll blog about some options that come to my mind and some of you will leave your ideas, too.
So… let’s make good use of our time and stop acting like being busy means we’re better than everyone else!
The REAL ZINGER: The people who really do the most are usually the ones who never say a word about their “busy” lives and are usually quick to willingly take on something else and do it well. Hmm